Source: “The Little Book of Gin” published bu “OH!” in 2020 (ISBN 978-1-91161-098-4)
Gin is one of the most popular spirts made at home. “Bathtub gin” is really nothing more than flavoured or infused vodka. It’s easy to make.
What you need:
- A bottle of decent vodka (715ml)
- 2 tbs of juniper berries
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 peppercorns
- Dried orange and lemon peels (remove the pith)
- 2 sterilized bottles
Make your gin:
- Sterilize your bottle with boiling water. Allow to cool.
- Pour half of the vodka into the bottle.
- Add the botanicals: juniper, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon and peppercorns, and top with vodka.
- Keep the bottle in a cool dark place and leave for 24 hours. This is the infusion period.
- Taste the infusion. It should already be gin-esque. Add the lemon and orange peels.
- Shake the bottle gently.
- Leave for another 24 hours.
- Return and strain out the botanicals using a sieve or a sheet of kitchen roll. your gin will be yellow-brownish colour.
- leave the gin to sit for a couple of days; strain out any further sediment.
- Serve with thick ice, decent tonic and a garnish of your choice.